Estimated Reading Time: 1
Gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram fighters are currently attacking Garkida town in Gombi local government area of Adamawa State.
Daily-trust Newspaper is reporting that the insurgents thronged the town through the main road in the late afternoon, forcing residents to flee to the surrounding mountains.
” I saw them moving in to the town in five trucks and then heard sounds of gun shots and people running to the mountains”, said a fleeing resident..
Details of the attacks are sketchy as at the time of this report. There has been no official statement to that effect either.
NewsWireNGR recalls that the Department of State Services had alerted Nigerians about plans by “enemies of state” to unleash terror on vulnerable places, including critical infrastructure, places of worship, as well as recreational centres during the Christmas and New Year celebrations.
It said the plot would be executed through the use of explosives, suicide bombing and other weapons.
The DSS spokesperson, Dr Peter Afunanya, in a statement, however, assured Nigerians that security forces had taken measures to thwart the plot, which according to him, was meant to undermine the authority of the government.
He said, “The Department of State Services wishes to inform the public about plans by some criminal elements to carry out violent attacks on public places including key and vulnerable points during the yuletide seasons.
“The planned dastardly acts are to be executed through the use of explosives, suicide bombing and other dangerous weapons.
“The objective is to create a general sense of fear among the people and subsequently undermine the government.”
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole