Estimated Reading Time: 1
The crime wave in Benin City, the Edo State capital, took a dive on Saturday evening as the Head of Service, Mr Anthony Okungbowa, was kidnapped.
Okungbowa, who was appointed HOS by Governor Godwin Obaseki in April, was kidnapped along Oza Road in Orhionmwon Local Government Area of the state.
Sources within the Edo Civil Service, who confirmed the incident to Tribune Online but asked that he should not be mentioned, disclosed that the gunmen also killed Okungbowa’s official driver before taking him away.
The victim was said to have gone to the locality where he was kidnapped to attend a social event.
“He was kidnapped on his way back to Benin City after attending a social event in Oza. His driver was killed,” the source added.
Another top civil servant who is also close to the kidnapped Head of Service, and worked in tje Ministry of Justice, from where Okugbowa was made the Hhead of Service, also pleading anonymity, simply said “we just got the information. It is true.”
Edo State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Chidi Nwabuzor, did not pick his calls when he was contacted over the incident.
- Kano assembly approves a bill to force premarital testing
- Akeredolu calls for decentralisation of Police
- Just in: Senate approves Bawa’s appointment as new EFCC Chairman
- Auditor-General indicts MDAs on N105.66Billion spending
- Victims of NAF plane crash to be buried on Thursday
- WAEC withholds 70,000 SSCE results in Kano as government default on payment for sponsored students
- Borno Governor confirms 10 dead, 47 injured as he visits victims of Maiduguri attack
- COVID-19: Ghana becomes first country to receive COVAX-backed vaccine
- EXCLUSIVE audio recording reveals negotiation details of the Kagara School abductions
- Ilo family launch “Kasie” a book and Foundation, to comfort grieving families in memory of late daughter Natacha in Abuja