Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigerian human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, has advised President Muhammadu Buhari against not honouring the invitation by the House of Representatives.
Falana gave the advice in a reaction to the comment by Abubakar Malami, the Justice Minister and Attorney General of the Federation.
Recall that the Attorney General, Abubakar Malami said on Wednesday that the National Assembly has no right to summon Buhari, to speak on security issues.
“National Assembly has no constitutional power to envisage or contemplate a situation where the president would be summoned by the national assembly on the operational use of the armed forces,” he said.
He said the right of the President to engage the National Assembly and appear before it is “inherently discretionary in the President and not at the behest of the National Assembly,” he said.
Responding to Malami in a press statement, Falana said the National Assembly has the power to summon the President.
“On his own part, the honourable Attorney-General of the federation has questioned the constitutional power of the National Assembly to invite the President on the grounds that as the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, he cannot be compelled to disclose operational details of the defence of the country.”
“With respect, the President is under a moral and legal obligation to honour the invitation.
“Having accepted the invitation, the president should not allow himself to be embarrassed by turning round to turn down the invitation”, Falana said
- State Capture: Nigeria’s political parties and their associates are malicious – Cheta Nwanze
- Nigeria earned N1.53Trillion from VAT In 2020 – NBS report
- Breaking: Nigerian telecommunication networks block access to Peoples Gazette Website
- Femi Adesina says Buhari felt it was the best time to rejig the security system in the country
- In Bauchi, Hisbah ‘Police’ arrests ‘Organizers’ of sex party
- Cross River Government renews commitment to eliminate malaria
- Herdsmen destroyed maize farm worth over N6.6Million – Ekiti farmers
- Opinion: Buhari’s new service Chiefs are new spokes in an old wheel
- COVID-19: Analysts say Nigeria lost N11.6 Trillion to pandemic
- The new Service Chiefs should not politicise security by aligning with politicians – says Governor Wike