Estimated Reading Time: 1
The former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team, Abdulrasheed Maina has been returned to Nigeria to face his ongoing money laundering trial
Maina was arrested in Niger republic after he jumped bail.
He was received by men of the Nigeria Police Force at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Thursday.
The aircraft carrying the former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team landed at the Airport at 2.15 pm.
Mr. Maina is standing trial for alleged money laundering to the tune of 2 billion naira.
Speaking with journalists, the Commissioner of Police in charge of Interpol said Mr Maina was brought back to Nigeria on the directive of the IGP, Mohammed Adamu.
Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni while applauding the trans-national/inter-agency collaborations that led to the successful arrest and extradition of the wanted fugitive, assures that necessary legal actions will follow immediately. pic.twitter.com/3PsVw9Ywya
— Nigeria Police Force (@PoliceNG) December 3, 2020
READ Statement issued by the Police below…
ABDULRASHID MAINA EXTRADITED TO NIGERIA
The Nigeria Police Force has extradited Abdulrashid Abdullahi Maina, former chairman of the Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT), today, 3rd December, 2020, to Nigeria from Niamey, Niger Republic, where he was arrested having been declared wanted by a court of competent jurisdiction over a pending criminal trial against him.
Recall that Abdulrashid Maina was arrested on 30th November, 2020 through the collaborative efforts of the operatives of the Nigeria Police Force, INTERPOL NCB, Abuja and their Nigerien counterpart.
The team from INTERPOL Nigeria, led by the Commissioner of Police INTERPOL, CP Garba Umar, having completed the necessary documentation requirements and other extradition processes, flew the wanted former Pension Boss, Maina into Nigeria aboard an NPF Jet 5N-HAR and landed at exactly 1417Hrs (Nigerian Time).
- “They are criminals” – Governor Seyi Makinde wants police to arrest those stoking ethnic tension
- CBN warns that revised cheque book becomes fully operational April 1
- DJ Khaled to host MTV Africa Music Awards Kampala 2021
- 600 Nigerians stranded in Saudi Arabia will be brought home soon – Abike Dabiri-Erewa
- Just In: University workers begin indefinite strike February 5
- Vice President Osinbajo raises alarm over increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases
- After a 2 year break, singer-songwriter DavidB, is back with ‘These Crazy Times’
- Chief Sunday Igboho insists Fulani herdsmen must leave Yoruba Land
- Don Jazzy unveils new 18-year-old female artiste
- Insecurity: Nasarawa State turns to President Buhari for help