Estimated Reading Time: 1
US President-elect Joe Biden has appointed an all-female senior press team, in what his office claims is a first in the country’s history. The team will be led by Kate Bedingfield, former deputy campaign communications director for Biden.
Jen Psaki, who was President Barack Obama’s White House communications director, will be press secretary. Biden has promised to build a diverse administration that reflects the country.
“I am proud to announce today the first senior White House communications team comprised entirely of women,” Biden said in a statement.
“These qualified, experienced communicators bring diverse perspectives to their work and a shared commitment to building this country back better.”
The two top press aides to Vice-President-elect Kamala Harris will be Symone Sanders and Ashley Etienne.
Unlike cabinet positions, the press office does not require Senate confirmation.
Following his election win, Biden has been unveiling his first choices for top cabinet positions.
Last week, he said his selection is “a team that reflects the fact that America is back”. He added that his team would keep the country “safe and secure” while leading the world.
Also on Sunday, Biden sustained hairline fractures in his “mid-foot” after he slipped while playing with his dog Major.
A statement from his physician, Dr Kevin O’Connor said it is likely Biden will be required to wear a walking boot “for several weeks”.
He is set to be sworn into office on 20 January.
On Monday he is set to receive the first presidential daily briefing, a top secret intelligence brief. It was made possible by the announcement a week ago that the transition process had begun.
- I raped her for collecting my money and refusing me sex – Suspect confesses
- Investigation: Nigeria’s government is waging a never-ending war on public freedoms
- My son knows I am vehemently against his sexuality – Doyin Okupe reacts to his son’s sexuality
- Gani Adams support Akeredolu’s quit notice to herdsmen
- Court convicts 20-year-old for doctoring fake ‘Sex Tape’ of Imo Commissioner, Willie Amadi
- Yoruba people traditionally have what it takes to defend themselves against all enemy attacks – Alaafin writes open letter to Buhari
- Anambra lawmakers take compulsory COVID-19 tests
- Help APC tackle online critics – Umahi charges new Caretaker committee
- Selling public assets will boost the economy – Finance Minister
- We reduced the number of out of school children from 10.1 million in 2019 to 6.9 million in 2020 – Education Minister