Paradigm Initiative, PIN, a social enterprise that builds an ICT-enabled support system and advocates digital rights in Africa has on Thursday reacted to the suspected cyber-attack on Feminist Coalition website.
PIN said through its social media that it will investigate the suspected cyber attack on Feminist Coalition website.
“We’re investigating suspected access disruption to the website of @feminist_co, a group that coordinated funding & logistics for #EndSARSprotests last month,” the statement said. “If you are able to access https://feministcoalition2020.com on a Nigerian mobile network, without VPN, kindly reply this. Thanks”
On Thursday, NewsWireNGR reported that the website of popular women’s right group, Feminist Coalition has allegedly suffered a cyberattack and became inaccessible to Nigerians.
When accessed with a Nigerian mobile network, the website cannot be reached. But when a user uses a VPN, the site becomes accessible.
PIN continued in its statement that the websites of other EndSARS supporting initiatives like endsars.com and radioisiaq.com. are also facing the same access disruption as Feminist Coalition.
“We can confirm that http://feministcoalition2020.com isn’t the only website blocked on Nigerian mobile networks and some ISPs. As at 9:21pm GMT today, other websites central to the recent #EndSARSprotests, including http://endsars.com & http://radioisiaq.com, were inaccessible”
The Paradigm Initiative linked this cyberattack to the blocking of 21 Nigerian websites in 2017. PIN said that it obtained a copy of the letter from the Nigerian communication Ministry to a private company asking the company to block the 21 websites it tagged pro-biafra.
“In October 2017, the Nigerian government, through the Office of the National Security Adviser, asked supposedly independent telecom regulator, @NgComCommission, to block 21 websites including media platform, Naij, and 20 other websites tagged “pro-Biafra”
“When similar network disruptions happened in October 2017, we obtained a copy of the letter showing that @NgComCommission asked a private company to help block 21 websites in Nigeria. We followed up by sending an FoI request that wasn’t responded to, so we sued the NCC.”
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR