Estimated Reading Time: 1
President Muhammadu Buhari has written to the Senate seeking approval for the confirmation of Professor Mahmoud Yakubu for a second term in office as the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Senate President Ahmad Lawan read the letter on Tuesday at the resumption of legislative proceedings after a one month recess.
Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari had reappointed Prof. Yakubu as INEC chairman for a second and final term.
Yakubu was first appointed by President Buhari in October 2015 and assumed office on November 9, 2015, where he has been overseeing the activities of the commission.
Yakubu’s reappointment is subject to approval by members of the upper chamber of the National Assembly.
Awaiting confirmation, professor Yakubu had handed over the chairmanship of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to Air Vice Marshal Ahmed Mu’azu (Rtd), a national commissioner of the electoral body from the Northeast.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- NDLEA to test students, corps members, security agencies
- COVID-19: FG extends partial lockdown by a month
- Just In: Imo State Governor declares curfew in Orlu
- South-West Governors ban all forms of open grazing in the region
- Pregnant woman killed by bandits in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State
- Cross River, EU destroy arms surrendered by militants in the state
- State Governors meet with Miyetti Allah in Akure; here are some of the resolutions reached
- Filmmakers should collect permit to avoid harassment – Sanwo-Olu
- Federal Government is insincere with the handling of herdsmen crisis – Bamikole Omisore
- How I lost my wife, 4 children to Flood – 50-year-old man narrates in new CDD documentary