Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Justice Ayo Salami panel has recommended the sack of Ibrahim Magu, a commissioner of police, as the acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The remarks were made when President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday received the final report of the Justice Ayo Salami-led probe panel on alleged infractions by the suspended Acting Chairman of EFCC, Mr Ibrahim Magu.
The panel, which submitted its report to President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday, also asked the president to appoint the new EFCC chairman in an interim position for two years.
The Panel recommended that Buhari should also look outside the police force in appointing the next chairman, the panel recommended.
Magu is being investigated following allegations made by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.
They include the “alleged sale of seized assets to cronies, associates and friends.” Magu denies the allegations.
In his address, The President said so far, his administration has kept faith with the promise and shall remain committed until Nigeria triumphs over the evil of corruption. He promised that the nation shall attain a prosperous economic status and surmounts her security challenges.
“Let it be known that in the fight against corruption, no one is too big to tackle, as no individual is bigger than the Nigerian State!” President Buhari said.
The report containing four boxes of exhibits were presented to the president at the Council Chamber of the State House, Abuja.
The Salami Panel, which was inaugurated by the president in July, was given 45 days to carry out its assignment but the timeframe was later extended after the panel requested for more time.
Magu was allegedly accused of corruption, mismanagement, lack of transparency in managing recovered assets by the commission as well as abuse of office by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice