Estimated Reading Time: 1
There was mild drama at the Ondo State House of Assembly on Thursday following the refusal of the leadership of the Assembly to allow four lawmakers to resume legislative duties despite court rulings.
On Wednesday, the Court of Appeal sitting in Akure had dismissed the stay of execution suit filed by the Ondo State House of Assembly against the judgement of the High Court, reinstating the Deputy Speaker, Iroju Ogundeji and two suspended lawmakers (Hon. Wale Williams and Hon. Favour Tomomewo) as it described the suit as frivolous.
Recall that on November 5, 2020, an Ondo State High Court sitting in Akure had quashed the indefinite suspension of the Deputy Minority Leader of Assembly, Tomide Akinribido.
However, the four lawmakers, on Thursday were prevented by security operatives at the gate of the Assembly from gaining entrance into the complex of the Assembly.
On July 8, 2020, the lawmakers were suspended indefinitely by the leadership of the Assembly over what was described as unparliamentary act, but an Akure High Court had quashed the suspension of the lawmakers after the Presiding Judge, Justice Ademola Bola described the suspension as illegal, null and void and of no effect.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole