Estimated Reading Time: 1
A police inspector has been killed during an attack by gunmen on the residence of former Governor of Bayelsa State, Seriake Dickson, in Sagbama Local Government Area of the state.
According to a statement released on Thursday, by Asinim Butswat, the police spokesperson in Bayelsa State, the officer, died “after sustaining gunshots injuries resulting from the fierce encounter with the gunmen.”
According to Butswat, the gunmen struck on November 19 and came in three speedboats.
“Unknown gunmen in three speedboats who came through the Forcados River attempted to invade the residence of Hon. Henry Seriake Dickson at the riverine community of Toru-Orua, Sagbama Local Government Area, but were repelled by Policemen on duty.
“An Inspector of Police who sustained gunshot injuries resulting from the fierce encounter with the gunmen later died and his corpse has been deposited at the mortuary.
“The Command condoles with the family and relatives of the Inspector of Police who fought gallantly with his team to prevent the gunmen from invading the residence,” the statement read in part.
Also, the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, Mike Okoli have visited the scene.
He said investigations have commenced following the unfortunate incident and the body of the policeman whose name has not been released to the media, has been deposited at the mortuary.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Buhari is the single problem of Nigeria – Coalition of Northern groups fume over insecurity
- Police Service Commission confirms the recruitment of 925 illegal police officers
- Kano PDP has withdrawn from Jan 2021 Local Government Elections
- FCT Minister says his ministry spent N28.5Billion on COVID-19
- #EndSARS: CBN asks court not to unfreeze protesters’ accounts
- We are working on extraditing Maina to Nigeria; Nigeria Police says
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has been announced as Forbes Africa-CNBC African of The Year
- Buhari sacks NAPTIP DG, Julie Okah-Donli, replaces her with Imaan Sulaiman-Ibrahim
- Finance bill passes through first reading
- Boko Haram: We will do all it takes to secure Nigeria, Vice President Osinbajo says