Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigerian Army on Saturday said the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, lied about the Lekki shooting and that the army was unhappy about it.
The Commander, 81 Division and Head, Military Intelligence Brigade, Ibrahim Taiwo, said this while testifying before the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry about the October 20 incident.
Mr Taiwo told the panel that there were lots of misinformation about the incident, all targeted at the army, but said they were particularly unhappy about the “lie” of Mr Sanwo-Olu.
“The Nigerian Army was not happy about two things, the first is the lie that he did not ask the army to intervene, while in fact, it was the proper thing to do as the police were already overrun.
“There were reasonable grounds to ask the army to intervene. Perhaps it was the way everything went that made him say so,” he said.
The commander said the governor made a call to the Chief of Army Staff and the General Officer Commanding the division after asking the Commander of 9 Brigade to intervene.
“The Commander 9 Brigade cannot intervene because the procedure does not follow and asked him to call the Chief of Army Staff and the GOC,” he said.
He also insisted that the military only fired into the air and not directly at the #EndSARS protesters.
While explaining that the blank bullets used cannot cause any damage to the flesh, Brigadier Taiwo said if real bullets were indeed fired, one bullet had the potency to kill three persons at one shot.
General Taiwo, who is the Commander of the 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, confirmed that soldiers were at the venue of the protest.
He added that the soldiers were briefed before they were deployed to the scene and debriefed after the operation.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- FEC approves 65 years as new retirement age for teachers
- President Buhari presides over first FEC meeting of 2021
- Teachers violating COVID-19 guidelines in Abuja will be arrested and Prosecuted – Task Force
- ‘Have a good life, see you soon’ Trump says as he bows out of White House
- LAUTECH: Oyo Government approves N8Billion payment to Osun Government
- Fredrick Nwabufo: I’m a ‘herdsman’ — all herdsmen are not bandits
- COVID-19: Federal Government says ultra chain cold facility ready for vaccine storage
- Ondo Govt says Presidency backing criminal elements masquerading as herdsmen
- Like Trump, Buhari will be remembered for failure – Fayose
- Civil servants in Rivers State begin work from home