Estimated Reading Time: 1
Three of the #EndSARS protesters on Friday appeared before the Lagos Panel of Judicial Inquiry probing the October 20 shootings by soldiers at the Lekki toll gate in Lagos.
The protesters – Victoria Oniru, Dabira Ayuku, and Perpetual Kamsiyuchukwu – through their lawyer, Mr Adesina Ogunlana, demanded to be granted an audience.
Adesina told the retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel that he would like to cross-examine the Managing Director of the Lekki Concession Company, operator of the Lekki toll gate, Abayomi Omowuwa.
Though counsel for the Lagos State Government, Mr Jelili Owonikoko (SAN), and LCC lawyer, Mr Rotimi Seriki, earlier opposed Ogunlana’s appearance on the basis that “#EndSARS” is not an entity known to the law, they later withdrew their objection when Ogunlana called out his three clients.
“I am not representing spirits or ghosts. We’re here, to tell the truth. These are part of the people running underground, being threatened,” Ogunlana said in response to the objection by Owonikoko and Seriki.
Owonikoko had described #EndSARS as a nebulous entity with no structure or leader, questioning where Ogunlana got his instruction to appear before the panel.
Seriki, on his part, had said since the LCC Managing Director was before the panel on the subpoena, “he cannot be cross-examined by every Tom, Dick, and Harry.”
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’