Estimated Reading Time: 1
Hope Uzodinma, governor of Imo state, has expressed support for the move to regulate social media.
Many Nigerians have kicked against the planned regulation of social media, describing it as a breach of their rights to expression.
Already, a bill on the regulation is before the national assembly and has scaled second reading at the senate.
Speaking when he received Mohammed Adamu, inspector-general of police, in Owerri, capital of Imo, on Thursday, Uzodinma said he is strongly in support of the move.
The governor expressed worry that social media is “being used to cause trouble in the country”.
“I am strongly advocating that social media should be regulated in Nigeria,” he said.
“Opposition party incited hoodlums to cause trouble in Imo, because the real protesters went off the street after my address and assurances to them.”
On his part, Adamu said social media was the greatest weapon used to escalate the #EndSARS protest across Nigeria.
He advised Nigerians not to allow the country to pass through the experience it had during the protest in future.
“I can tell you that our men acted professionally during the protest, they had their guns, they were being killed, yet they respected human dignity,” Adamu said.
“I came specifically to visit vandalised property and to see the level of damage done to police facilities in Imo.’’
Adamu said he would also address key police officers to encourage and boost their morale which he said was low due to the protest.
He said he would strengthen community policing and partner with relevant parties in achieving the aim.
Adamu added that the visit was aimed at ascertaining the level of damage done to both public and private facilities during the peaceful EndSARS protest hijacked by hoodlums to loot and cause civil unrest in the society.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo
- Singer, Simi says female entertainers are constantly pitted against each other – she explains the difficulties
- Lagos State Government announces 3 months partial closure of Marine bridge
- WAEC cancels Literature-in English exams; candidates to rewrite papers March 11
- “They took away about 470 cows and cattle” killed 15 persons – Eyewitness accounts after gunmen storm Sokoto
- Speaker Gbajabiamila begs Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine
- “That is the trump card that I will not reveal” – Chief of Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor talks tough
- Repentant Boko Haram members return to the terror group after spying on security agents formation – Governor Zulum
- Nigerian soldier and his girlfriend were recently caught supplying ammunitions and military uniforms to armed bandits in Zamfara