Estimated Reading Time: 1
Germany’s Defence Minister, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, on Wednesday warned that the United States was facing a “very explosive situation” and a possible systemic crisis after President Donald Trump prematurely declared election victory.
According to AFP, Kramp-Karrenbauer told public broadcaster ZDF “this election has not been decided… votes are still being counted”.
She said Trump could create “a constitutional crisis in the USA”, calling such a scenario “something that must deeply concern us”.
The minister, who is also head of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union party, said it appeared “the battle over the legitimacy of the result, however, it turns out, has begun”.
She admitted that the German-US relationship had faced “a tough test in the past four years” with fierce Trump criticism of Berlin over trade and military spending.
However, she said, “This friendship is more than a question of which administration is currently in the White House.”
She dismissed calls in Germany to “decouple ourselves from the United States”.
But Kramp-Karrenbauer stressed that regardless of the ultimate outcome of the US vote, Europe would need to become more self-sufficient.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Femi Adesina says Nigerians who fail to pray are guilty of prolonging the war against insecurity
- COVID-19: UK to close all travel corridors
- NAFDAC warns against the circulation of fake coronavirus vaccines
- The Kwara women who built community school with their personal funds have been refunded
- NIMC lists 50 NIN enrolment centres in Lagos, Abuja
- CAC declares companies inactive for failing to file annual returns
- Buhari should change service chiefs and consider new strategies to tackle insecurity – Wike
- Nigeria’s inflation rises to 15.75%, highest since 2017
- Lagos State Government to close Apapa Dock for railway project
- Kaduna State government rescues 160 Almajiri children