Estimated Reading Time: 1
The statistics department of the CBN has disclosed in its ‘Consumer expectations survey’ report for September which was released on Friday, that consumers’ confidence in the economy dropped in the third quarter of the year
Part of the report read, “The consumers’ overall confidence outlook dipped in Q3 2020, as consumers were pessimistic in their outlook.
“The index at -21.2 point was 25.0 points lower than the index in the corresponding period of 2019.
“Respondents attributed this unfavourable outlook to declining economic conditions, family financial situation and declining family income.”
The report said consumers were however optimistic in their outlook for the next quarter and next 12 months with indices of 10.1 and 30.5 points respectively.
This positive outlook could be attributed to the expected increase in net household income, an anticipated improvement in Nigeria’s economic conditions and expectations to save a bit and/or have plenty over savings in the next quarter and the next 12 months.
The major drivers were savings, purchase of car/motor vehicle, purchase of appliances/ durables, education, food & other household needs and purchase of houses.
Overall buying intention index in the next 12 months stood at 29.7 index points, indicating that most consumers did not intend to buy big-ticket items in the next 12 months.
The buying intention indices for consumer durables, motor vehicles and houses were below 50 points, which showed that respondents had no plans to make these purchases in the next 12 months.”
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Pensioners reject Government’s plan to borrow from pension fund
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship