Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Director General of the Cross River State Primary Health Care Development Agency, Dr. Janet Ekpenyong has decried the destruction and looting of health centers across the state by hoodlums who took advantage of the Endsars protest.
Dr. Janet who said this today 29/10/2020, wondered why people will attack health facilities knowing how important it is to their community.
Dr. Janet revealed that no fewer than four Local Government Areas of Akpabuyo,Bakassi, Calabar Municipal and Calabar South were badly affected with Offices, Primary Healthcare Centres, drug stores, records store, Cold chain stores, staff quarters , medical utilities and stationaries stolen and others destroyed beyond repairs.
Inspecting some of the affected facilities in Calabar Municipal and Calabar South LGAs, the DG said she was moving around so as to ascertain the level of damage done.
“It’s quite unfortunate that our health Facilities in various LGAs became target for some aggrieved youths who were expressing their frustrations just like some of their contemporaries across the nation. Its hightime we realize that the health sector is so fragile and any form of jeopardy could result in a catastrophic effect beyond control.
Cross River State Primary Healthcare Development Agency is not a revenue generating body, all we do is offer services especially to those in remote Communities and the Vulnerable.”
I understand their frustrations, but unfortunately, even if they themselves are not affected directly, their mothers, wives, children and loved ones will feel the impact and that is why I urge everyone to down their tools and seek ways of meeting compromise with Government.” She said.
On the level of damage recorded, the DG said;
“We lost a lot of things like generating sets, solar panels, ice pack refrigerators, stationaries and personal valuables belonging to our workers .
We will ensure that as prompt as possible, we will get our workers back to the field to provide services especially Immunization for our children as well as maternal and child health services”. She said.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- World Aids Day:Cross River State Government Marks Day With Walk, Advocates for Early Detection
- Police confirm killing of Assistant commissioner of police in Calabar
- Pope Francis condemns the killing of scores of farmers and villagers in Borno
- Actress, Regina Daniels husband, Ned Nwoko, says he can marry another wife to add to all his wives
- Boko Haram abducts Red Cross officer in Borno
- COVID-19: UK becomes first country to approve Pfizer’s vaccine
- Kayode Fayemi has said security challenges are beyond the Nigerian military
- The Judiciary leads ICPC corruption index with over N9Billion in bribes offered/received in 2 years
- Kidnappers demand N15 million ransom to release couple abducted in Edo
- Hausa Language Movie, ‘The Milkmaid’ has been selected as Nigeria’s entry for the Oscars