Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Director General of the Cross River State Primary Health Care Development Agency, Dr. Janet Ekpenyong has decried the destruction and looting of health centers across the state by hoodlums who took advantage of the Endsars protest.
Dr. Janet who said this today 29/10/2020, wondered why people will attack health facilities knowing how important it is to their community.
Dr. Janet revealed that no fewer than four Local Government Areas of Akpabuyo,Bakassi, Calabar Municipal and Calabar South were badly affected with Offices, Primary Healthcare Centres, drug stores, records store, Cold chain stores, staff quarters , medical utilities and stationaries stolen and others destroyed beyond repairs.
Inspecting some of the affected facilities in Calabar Municipal and Calabar South LGAs, the DG said she was moving around so as to ascertain the level of damage done.
“It’s quite unfortunate that our health Facilities in various LGAs became target for some aggrieved youths who were expressing their frustrations just like some of their contemporaries across the nation. Its hightime we realize that the health sector is so fragile and any form of jeopardy could result in a catastrophic effect beyond control.
Cross River State Primary Healthcare Development Agency is not a revenue generating body, all we do is offer services especially to those in remote Communities and the Vulnerable.”
I understand their frustrations, but unfortunately, even if they themselves are not affected directly, their mothers, wives, children and loved ones will feel the impact and that is why I urge everyone to down their tools and seek ways of meeting compromise with Government.” She said.
On the level of damage recorded, the DG said;
“We lost a lot of things like generating sets, solar panels, ice pack refrigerators, stationaries and personal valuables belonging to our workers .
We will ensure that as prompt as possible, we will get our workers back to the field to provide services especially Immunization for our children as well as maternal and child health services”. She said.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Breaking: No fewer than 19 persons have been abducted in Kutunku village in Niger State
- “OBJ, faults and all” – Kingsley Moghalu says former President Obasanjo is Nigeria’s best president since 1999
- Minister Pauline Tallen’s niece has been kidnapped In Jos
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping
- ‘2.5 million people have registered to join APC in Kano’ Ganduje says
- Federal Government to establish special courts, judicial divisions on GBV – Malami
- Mercy Abang makes list of 100 most inspiring women 2021
- Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle says she contemplated suicide in an explosive television interview
- Hijab Controversy: Kwara Government extends closure of 10 schools