Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Federal Psychiatric hospital, the Calabar Municipal office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), State Secretariat of the Nigerian Labor Congress (NLC), the State office of the Niger Delta Development Commission, the state office of the West African Examination Council (WAEC) has all been vandalized and torched as hoodlums continue to cause havoc, unchallenged in the state capital.
Also touched was the 8-mile branch of First Bank, Mayne Avenue Branch of Access bank, Valuemart supermarket belonging to Mrs. Obioma Imoke, wife of a former Governor of the state, Cross River Roll Back Malaria office, and the Atakpa Police station amongst others.
NewsWireNGR can also confirm that 2 persons (a man and a woman) were brought in dead to the Police Clinic after a mob broke into a warehouse belonging to the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).
An eyewitness at the scene said the woman died after bags of garri fell on her, and that the man died as a result of stampede.
Our reporter who went round the town, said the streets were deserted shops closed but that most of the phone shops along the popular Calabar road, around the popular Watt market had been looted.
The Cross River Governor, Sen. Ben Ayade had earlier in state broadcast pleaded with citizens, saying “if we destroy our own assets as a state with one of the lowest allocations in the country, we will not have the ability to rebuild.”
The Governor added that the state has learned it lessons and pleaded with the people to give it a chance to make amends.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Twitter Lawsuit: “We got notice for the hearing late” Adamu Garba explains absence from court
- Mahmood Yakubu asks National Assembly to pass amended electoral act before Q1 2021
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving
- Cheta Nwanze: What NDIC really needs to succeed
- ‘Gowon is a man of honour ‘ Akinwunmi Adesina insists
- Fact Check: How true is Lai Mohammed’s claim that blank ammunition can not kill anyone?
- Imo State Government uncovers 300 ‘ghost workers’
- “I served Nigeria diligently ” Gowon reacts to UK MP’s theft accusations