Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Abia State chapter of the Nigerian Medical Association has threatened to go on strike over the assault on its members by some security men in the state.
NMA revealed this in a statement made available on Friday, October 23, lamenting that some medical personnel on duty were harassed by security men despite being exempted from the 24-hour curfew imposed by Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu.
Chairman and Secretary of the chapter, Dr Chimezie Okwuonu and Dr Robinson Ugwuanyi, respectively, charged the state government and relevant agencies to look into the issue and assured its members in the line of duty protection during the curfew period.
The duo stated that the association will henceforth not tolerate any form of abuse from security operatives who according to them have been persistently harrasing its members on the lin of duty.
The statement reads: “If the government of Abia and her security personnel do not come up with practical and adequate measures to protect our members in the next 24 hours, we may be left with no choice than to ask our members to stay away from work till further notice.
“We also call on heads of health institutions in the state to liaise with the state government and security agents to end the harassment.’
NMA further declared that the chapter would set up an “Emergency Response Team’’ within the next 24 hours to assist in providing appropriate and timely medical interventions during this period.”
The chairman and secretary urged NMA members in the state ensure proper attention are given to wounded victims of the on-going protest and encouraged them to be vigilant and to keep safe as they discharge their duties.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Filmmakers should collect permit to avoid harassment – Sanwo-Olu
- Federal Government is insincere with the handling of herdsmen crisis – Bamikole Omisore
- How I lost my wife, 4 children to Flood – 50-year-old man narrates in new CDD documentary
- Gunmen who invaded Abuja orphanage demand for N30 Million
- Governor Kayode Fayemi, says herdsmen were not asked to vacate Ondo State – blames the media
- Just In: Court orders Kaduna prison to release El-Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenat for COVID treatment
- Police investigate Apostle Suleman for allegedly sleeping with pastor’s wife & threatening his life
- PDP justifies Wike’s N500Million donation to Sokoto State
- The Choice and the science of deploying COVID-19 vaccines in Nigeria
- APC is a dying party, we have failed Nigerians – Solomon Dalung