Estimated Reading Time: 1
Protesters in Abuja Friday, blocked the Abuja city gate and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Road.
The youth barricaded the expressway preventing vehicular movement on the ever busy road. The youth also displayed a banner containing the photographs of victims of police brutality in the country.
The blockade has led to heavy traffic jam in the area as motorists were forced to take alternative routes.
Days after the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, set up a new unit called the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team, to replace the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Unit (SARS), the protests only seem to be gaining more momentum as many Nigerians suspect the new unit may amount to a mere change of name.
As the protest continued on Friday with many rejecting the SWAT unit, the police have said no member of SARS will be in the unit and referred to the unit as Tactical Unit rather than SWAT.
The police did not state whether it has changed the name of the unit from SWAT to Tactical Unit as an image (below) the force tweeted on Wednesday suggested.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Ndoma-Egba tells hoodlums who broke into his house to return the robes of his late father who was a judge
- Lagos lawmaker says most young Nigerians are high on drugs in reaction to #EndSARS protest
- Cross River primary health care boss decries destruction of health centers
- Nigeria will ensure Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala emerges WTO DG; Federal Government vows
- Lagos Lawmaker says hoodlums hijacked #EndSARS protests because protesters gave them food
- Buhari says Nigeria’s economy too fragile for COVID-19 lockdown
- CBN releases guidelines for N75 billion youth investment fund
- #EndSARS: Did the Nigerian Government kill its citizens and tried to erase all the evidence?
- Former spokesman says Army used blank bullets in Lekki shooting; faults Amnesty International report
- Lagos schools to reopen November 2