Estimated Reading Time: 1
Lagos State deputy governor Obafemi Hamzat on Friday said he has also experienced harassment by the men of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS).
“This happened to me four years ago, I was going to Abule Odofin they were not in uniform they have guns and they just double-crossed us, of course, I was scared because if they were police wearing uniform I won’t be scared and they harassed us,” Hamzat said while addressing #EndSARS protesters in Alausa, Lagos.
“Every decent Nigerian will be upset.”
The deputy governor further stated that it is expected that every Nigerian should be outraged by the activities of this police unit.
He said before the protest commenced, the state government has had meetings with the Inspector general of the police of the extrajudicial activities of SARS.
He said they have demanded that the force puts an end to the harassment and profiling of young Nigerians as criminals because of their looks and owning a phone or laptop.
The deputy governor stated that the IGP has been asked to prosecute officers involved in unlawful activities.
Protests against police brutality and calls for the end of FSARS have been taking place since Wednesday across Nigeria.
The protesters are seeking the dissolution of the police unit over cases of harassment and extortion by its personnel, mostly on young people.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Lagos govt says negotiations are ongoing with manufacturers to make COVID-19 vaccines available
- “Scammers bent on defrauding job seekers” -EFCC raise alert
- Just In: Nigeria orders immediate closure of enrollment activities at NIMC Headquarters
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match