Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Executive Vice Chairperson (EVC) of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Umar Danbatta, has said that internet users in Nigeria were 149.8 million as of August.
Mr Danbatta disclosed this in a statement by the commission’s spokesperson, Ikechukwu Adinde, on Monday.
”Internet across mobile networks in Nigeria currently stands at 149.8 million as at August, 2020.”
The statement said that more users are expected online as services in different sectors of the economy are becoming digitalised.
He said the increase in digital financial transactions for e-commerce activities calls for greater responsibility on the part of individuals and corporate internet users to protect themselves against cybercrimes.
According to the statement, Mr Danbatta said this at the commencement of a series of enlightenment and awareness campaign activities being embarked upon by the commission for this year’s National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM).
The month of October every year is NCSAM globally, aimed at raising awareness about cybersecurity, and to provide the public with general knowledge and tools required for online safety.
According to the statement, as the commission embarks on various policy initiatives to drive pervasive broadband penetration to achieve increased digital inclusiveness, it is not unmindful of those who use the Internet to carry out nefarious and dubious activities in the cyber space.
“To keep the genuine individual and corporate Internet users safe, the NCC, as regulator of the telecom sector, annually joins the rest of the world to create a lot of enlightenment around cybercrime in the month of October every year.”
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Breaking: No fewer than 19 persons have been abducted in Kutunku village in Niger State
- “OBJ, faults and all” – Kingsley Moghalu says former President Obasanjo is Nigeria’s best president since 1999
- Minister Pauline Tallen’s niece has been kidnapped In Jos
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping
- ‘2.5 million people have registered to join APC in Kano’ Ganduje says
- Federal Government to establish special courts, judicial divisions on GBV – Malami
- Mercy Abang makes list of 100 most inspiring women 2021
- Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle says she contemplated suicide in an explosive television interview
- Hijab Controversy: Kwara Government extends closure of 10 schools