Estimated Reading Time: 1
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo says the plan by the Federal Government to convert cars of Nigerians to run on Compressed Natural Gas will start with commercial vehicles.
He said the plan was already being experimented in Edo State where he said Dangote firm had converted all its trucks to run on gas.
According to a statement on Monday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, the vice-president disclosed this during an interview he had with State House correspondents on Sunday.
The statement was titled, ‘President understands pains of Nigerians, working out further palliatives -VP Osinbajo.’
Osinbajo was quoted as describing the plan as one of the strategies the Federal Government was adopting to make energy cheaper for Nigerians to carry out their daily activities.
He said, “One of the ways is by using Compressed Natural Gas. Government is committed to do the conversion. First of all, we are starting with commercial vehicles.
“Most commercial transporters will have the capacity to use both gas and petrol. That is already being done experimentally in Edo State.
“Dangote, for instance, has converted all his trucks to the use of CNG, and that is 4,000 or even more of those trucks. It is not a particularly difficult thing to do for the commercial transporters, it may be expensive for the individual but that is also part of the commitment of government, to be able to do the conversion, and the price of gas comes at about almost half the price of petrol.”
The vice president said the government was involved in other ways to reduce the burden on Nigerians, saying nobody expected a downturn in the economic fortunes of the country occasioned by the fallouts of COVID-19 pandemic.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’