Estimated Reading Time: 2
The house of representatives has withdrawn the water resources bill it had already passed, following criticisms that have trailed the legislative decision.
At Tuesday’s plenary, Femi Gbajabiamila, the speaker, ruled that the bill should be withdrawn and brought back to on a later date for “proper” consideration.
The proposed law seeks to establish an act that would provide a regulatory framework for Nigeria’s water resources sector.
Although it was rejected in the previous assembly, it was reintroduced in the house as an executive bill in July and passed under controversial circumstances.
Many groups and Nigerians, including Wole Soyinka, Nobel Laureate, have kicked against it, following NewsWireNGR deep-dive into the bill..
On Tuesday, Benjamin Mzondu from Benue state raised concerns over the controversial nature of the bill which he said he had no input in.
The lawmaker argued that he did not have the opportunity to sight the gazetted copy of the bill and hence, was deprived of his right to contribute to its debate.
“I was misled by the use of order 12, rule 18 of our standing orders. It is an issue of law and procedure and honourable speaker, the onus of interpretation, lies on you,” he said.
“Where the bill was labelled as bill 2020, it was not considered as such … it is important to emphasize that I have painstakingly searched through all the journals of the house, and cannot find where the bill is gazetted and I stand to be challenged or corrected.
“The next question for your consideration deals with jurisdiction, whether the house has such powers to entertain a bill. Such proceedings become a nullity, ab initio no matter how conducted and decided.
“So, having not met this condition, I wish to move that the house do rescind/expunge its decision of 23rd July 2020, which adopted the National Water Resources Bill, 2020 HB921, to have been read the third time from our records.”
In his ruling, Gbajabiamila stood down the bill and asked the rules and business committee to work on it and reintroduce it in the floor of the house .
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Breaking: University of Ibadan releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME results
- Nigeria Medical Association denies ties with criminal bandits of Zamfara
- Peru’s former president, Martin Vizcarra, banned from holding public office
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor