Estimated Reading Time: 2
The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo says it lost the governorship election in the state because of the crisis foisted on the party by Adams Oshiomhole, former national chairman of the ruling party.
The party said this while congratulating Godwin Obaseki, Edo governor, for his victory at the poll in a statement on Tuesday.
Obaseki, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), polled 307,955 votes to defeat Osagie Ize-Iyamu, candidate of the APC, who secured 223,619 votes.
The governor was disqualified from contesting the APC primary election after he fell out with Oshiomhole. Both men were at loggerheads for months over issues concerning Edo.
But Obaseki defected to the PDP where he ran for the office of governor and won.
Although Anslem Ojezua, chairman of Edo APC, did not mention Oshiomhole’s name in the statement, he blamed “arrogant and irresponsible leadership” for the crisis that caused the party’s loss at the poll.
The APC leadership in Edo had issues with Oshiomhole and that led to his removal as national chairman.
While congratulating Obaseki on his win, Ojezua said steps should be taken to “salvage the well being of our party in the state”.
“We join President Muhammadu Buhari and the National Caretaker Committee of our great Party to congratulate Governor Godwin Obasekl and his Deputy Rt. Hon. Philip Shalbu for their victory at the just concluded Governorship election in Edo state,” the chairman said.
“The election has been generally acclaimed to be peaceful, orderly and transparent. The people of Edo State have made their choice In a very clear and unambiguous manner.
“Our loss at the poll stems from the needles and avoidable crisis foisted on the party by a selfish, insensitive, arrogant and irresponsible leadership.
“While we begin to take steps to try and salvage the well being of our party in the state, we call on the governor to be magnanimous in victory while we urge all those who contested to sheathe their swords and put the elections behind us.
“We must all and close ranks with the government in order to ensure a seamless transition to the final lap of governance in the State without being subjected to any further needless distraction and rancour.
“The establishment of a robust infrastructural base to guarantee economic growth at this critical time must be the paramount consideration and in the best interest of the good people of Edo state.”
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’