Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigeria’s former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has asked voters in Edo state to protect their votes.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has begun collating results of the Edo state governorship election which was held on Saturday.
In a twitter post, the Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP during the last general elections said vigilance is the price required for votes to count.
“Well done Edo for coming out to decide. But that’s not where it ends. As the saying goes, eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. In this case, let’s say vigilance is the price required to make your vote count in #EdoDecides2020. We must not lose our guards on this” Atiku wrote.
The Former Vice Presidents remarks follows comments by Bukola Saraki, ex-senate president, who also had asked voters in Edo state to protect their votes.
Saraki said: ”The on-going #EdoDecides2020 is getting to the crucial stages. I urge the good people of Edo State not to get carried away but to protect their votes.
“The enthusiasm and patriotic conduct of the good people of Edo State must not be thwarted or subverted by any @inecnigeria official, either permanent or ad-hoc; or any security personnel, no matter the rank.
“Nigeria’s glory is more important than the huge ego of politicians. And so @inecnigeria and security officials must work to protect Nigeria’s image and not to satisfy the whims and caprices of some power hungry politicians.”
- #EndSARS: NECO reschedules SSCE papers again
- Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Yemi Osinbajo speak on shootings
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Nigerian state has turned on its people #EndSARS
- IGP orders withdrawal of policemen attached to VIPs across Nigeria
- Protesters set APC secretariat ablaze, attack Chairman’s House
- Olusegun Obasanjo wants Buhari to restrain the military from killing #EndSARS protesters
- Prof Wole Soyinka says Buhari acted in an “authoritarian manner” by deploying soldiers on #EndSARS protesters
- Nigerian civil society situation Room “alarmed by the brutal, despicable killing of #EndSARS protesters”
- Just In: European Union wants justice for #EndSars protesters killed
- Lagos Governor Sanwo-Olu says #EndSARS protests in Lagos has been hijacked by criminal elements