Estimated Reading Time: 2
The All Progressives Congress APC has expressed concerns at the possible escalation of electoral violence in Urhonigbe and Owan West, accusing the Peoples Democratic Party PDP of intimidating voters and electoral officials.
The Independent National Electoral Commission INEC had earlier confirmed that there was Sporadic shootings in Urhonigbe and that it was working with security operatives to halt the descent into anarchy.
Mayaki in his statement said; “Possibly taking a cue from Uhunmwode Ward 2, Unit 6, PDP agents have again ignited chaos in Urhonigbe North, Ward 7, Unit 4 located at Idunmwongo Primary School, Orhionmwon Local Government, where some presiding (INEC) officers have run away as a result of sporadic shootings by five PDP thugs. “Still in the Council, at Ward 7, Unit 6, serious shootings by PDP have begun, chasing voters and INEC staff away, leaving many wounded.
A development which has led to cancellation of voting in the Unit has led to voters making their way home. Further, at Esan West, Ward 4, Unit 11, miscreants working for the PDP are fighting APC agents, trying to drive them (the agents) away, while police personnel watch helplessly. “It’s a reign of blunt coercion and intimidation as the PDP gunmen have seized control of the polling centre in Pius Odubu’s very enclave where APC enjoys generous support of voters. Also at Owan West, Ward 1, Units 3 and 4, PDP thugs have started chasing everyone away claiming APC is leading.
“It is same sad story for Esan North-East, where PDP is disrupting voting process, a situation which may degenerate into full-blown chaos, as APC tries to caution them.
“Again, all these are happening, despite heavy police presence, across the polling centres”, he said. Mayaki further alleged that thugs also disrupted the process at Ward 4 in Oredo local government area of Edo State where the PDP candidate, Governor Godwin Obaseki voted.
He said; “Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for the gubernatorial elections in Edo, Godwin Obaseki, has reportedly led thugs pretending to be his supporters to a polling unit in Benin City, Edo state, where they have commenced intimidation of voters and INEC officials.
“This was at ward 4 in Oredo local government area of Edo State where the governor arrived with a horde of supporters. They immediately commenced fighting with All Progressives Congress (APC) supporters and started sending them out of the field in Emokpea primary school mission road.
“It was reported that one of the thugs attempted to snatch the ballot box but he was immediately cautioned by other PDP thugs who told him that it was too early.
The governor, however, did nothing about the violent conduct of his thugs and reportedly pretended not to see the intimidation of APC supporters at the polling centre”. ‘APC instigated crisis at Obaseki’s PU’
- CCTV was dismantled to cover the massacre of young peaceful, #EndSARS protesters by the military
- #EndSARS: NECO reschedules SSCE papers again
- Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Yemi Osinbajo speak on shootings
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Nigerian state has turned on its people #EndSARS
- IGP orders withdrawal of policemen attached to VIPs across Nigeria
- Protesters set APC secretariat ablaze, attack Chairman’s House
- Olusegun Obasanjo wants Buhari to restrain the military from killing #EndSARS protesters
- Prof Wole Soyinka says Buhari acted in an “authoritarian manner” by deploying soldiers on #EndSARS protesters
- Nigerian civil society situation Room “alarmed by the brutal, despicable killing of #EndSARS protesters”
- Just In: European Union wants justice for #EndSars protesters killed