Estimated Reading Time: 1
Bakers have vowed to react to price increase in baking ingredients by increasing the prices of bread.
The Premium Breadmakers Association of Nigeria and the Association of Master Bakers and Caterers of Nigeria gave this warning on Thursday at a press conference in Lagos.
The President, PBAN, Tosan Jemide, complained that businesses had been comatose due to the incessant increase in the prices of baking ingredients.
He noted that in the last six months, the prices of flour, sugar and other baking ingredients have skyrocketed without a corresponding increase in the prices of bread by member bakeries.
Jemide said, “We have been busy helping them remain profitable while our businesses suffer, because we are more in tune with the purchasing power of the consumer and are deeply concerned about food security.
Jemide appealed to government to intervene in the rising cost by prevailing on sellers and imploring millers to put a stop to the incessant increment of the prices of commodities.
He also called on the President, Muhammadu Buhari, to help the industry by reining in on the millers or supporting them in whatever way they could to help the manufacturers and distributors with forex.
- Nigeria is the third most terrorized country in the world according to Global Terrorism Index
- Argentine football legend, Diego Maradona to be buried in Buenos Aires
- Lai Mohammed says despite recession, Nigeria’s economy is improving
- Cheta Nwanze: What NDIC really needs to succeed
- ‘Gowon is a man of honour ‘ Akinwunmi Adesina insists
- Fact Check: How true is Lai Mohammed’s claim that blank ammunition can not kill anyone?
- Imo State Government uncovers 300 ‘ghost workers’
- “I served Nigeria diligently ” Gowon reacts to UK MP’s theft accusations
- ‘Buhari will set Nigeria on fire if he does not come through on restructuring’ – Governor Wike
- Algeria, Kenya, Libya and others affected as UAE stop new visas to citizens of 13 mostly Muslim countries