Estimated Reading Time: 1
Samuel Ortom, Benue governor, says Terwase Akwaza, better known as Gana, who is alleged to be the most wanted criminal in the state, was intercepted by the army on his way to surrender.
Speaking with journalists on Tuesday after receiving some repentant criminals in the state, Ortom said he got a call that Gana was arrested in Gboko and immediately reached out to the army authorities.
The governor wondered why the army would arrest Gana because the security agencies are aware of the state government’s amnesty programme.
“It was around 4pm when we were waiting for the repentant militias that I received a call that Gana and others have been arrested close to Yandev roundabout in Gboko by soldiers,” he said.
“Many of the repentant militias had weapons in which they were bringing to surrender to us. The process of the amnesty programme was known to the security operatives, so I don’t know why they have to be arrested.
“Immediately I got the information, I contacted the commander of Operation Whirl Stroke, General Yekini, who told me that they were carrying out an operation and promised to get back to me, so I am still waiting for him.”
But the Nigerian army through Moundhey Ali, commander of ‘4 special forces command’, had told journalists that Gana was killed along Gbese-Makurdi road after an exchange of gunfire.
“At about 13:00 hours, there was an engagement with the convoy of Gana, a shoot-out ensued and the bandit was killed,” Ali told reporters.
- After a 2 year break, singer-songwriter DavidB, is back with ‘These Crazy Times’
- Chief Sunday Igboho insists Fulani herdsmen must leave Yoruba Land
- Don Jazzy unveils new 18-year-old female artiste
- Insecurity: Nasarawa State turns to President Buhari for help
- I raped her for collecting my money and refusing me sex – Suspect confesses
- Investigation: Nigeria’s government is waging a never-ending war on public freedoms
- My son knows I am vehemently against his sexuality – Doyin Okupe reacts to his son’s sexuality
- Gani Adams support Akeredolu’s quit notice to herdsmen
- Court convicts 20-year-old for doctoring fake ‘Sex Tape’ of Imo Commissioner, Willie Amadi
- Yoruba people traditionally have what it takes to defend themselves against all enemy attacks – Alaafin writes open letter to Buhari