Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Kogi State Commissioner for Water Resources, Abdulmumuni Danga, is to appear before the Federal High Court in Abuja on a seven-count charge of rape following his alleged assault of one Elizabeth Oyeniyi earlier this year.
Ms Oyeniyi had accused Mr Danga of brutalising her after he allegedly raped her multiple times on March 29.
The 23-year-old, showing her severely blistered arms and thighs, told PREMIUM TIMES she was targeted after posting a comment about the commissioner’s stepsister, who has been her friend for years, on Facebook.
In an interview she granted shortly after the incident, Ms Oyeniyi told this newspaper that Mr Danga personally flogged her and said he could have killed her but for her young son who was with her.
She said the commissioner then stripped her while at least 15 men, who worked for him, watched. The suspected thugs also allegedly filmed her nude as she was being whipped and humiliated.
After the attack, Mr Danga drove her to a hotel close to the Kogi State House in Lokoja, the state capital, where he allegedly forcefully raped her three times overnight, the victim claimed.
While Mr Danga denied the allegations, activists, rights groups, including Dorothy Njemanze Foundation, mounted pressure on the police for an investigation. The group also called on the Kogi State government to sanction Mr Danga. Afterwards, the state had promised to launch an investigation into the matter.
Meanwhile, five months after, the police have instituted a criminal case against the ckmmissioner after inviting all parties involved.
Records obtained by this paper showed that Mr Danga appeared in the police headquarters in Abuja on June 2 and July 5 for interrogation. He made statements on the two visits.
Premium Times reports that Mr Danga was charged on seven counts, including rape, brutality, coercion and torture at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja Judicial Division.
He is to be arraigned alongside one Success Omadivi, 35, who was also indicted in the course of investigation.
The case filed on September 4 will be prosecuted by the police on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria, this paper learnt.
The offences leveled against Mr Danga include falsification of documents and threatening medical officer to forge test result, having carnal knowledge of Ms Onyeniyi without her consent, inflicting physical injury and torture by flogging.
All are contrary to multiple sections of the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) Act, 2015.
- Buhari has done nothing other than make enemies for the herders – Miyetti Allah says in call for restructuring
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19