Estimated Reading Time: 1
Senator Orji Kalu says if Nigerians make him president in 2023, he will build a 20th century economy.
The Sun reports that Senator Kalu said this on a programme at a radio station in Umuahia, Abia state capital, while speaking on his presidential ambition in 2023.
The former governor of the state said he is capable of doing the job.
“Yes, if you give me the presidency, why not, I will take. I am capable of doing the job,” he said.
“The problem is who is capable of doing the job. For now, I am focusing on my constituency; there is a lot of job to be done.
“If you give me opportunity, I will like to go back to the Senate for a second term, but if the people of Nigeria want me to be president, they will show the hand. I can do the job. I can build a 20th century economy for our people.”
On Tuesday, Kalu said he would be glad to serve as president if given the opportunity by the electorate.
Senator Kalu, a former governor of Abia, and current Chief Whip of the Senate, was released from prison following his conviction by a federal high court in Lagos.
He was sentenced to a maximum of 12 years imprisonment for N7.65bn fraud, among other multiple sentences ranging from 3 years to 5 years on 27 counts.
Kalu alongside Ude Jones Udeogu, a former director of finance and account of Abia state were arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on 36 counts of money laundering. they were jailed in December.
But they appealed the verdict of the court. A unanimous decision by a seven-man panel of Justices led by Justice Amina Augie, held that the Federal High Court in Lagos acted without jurisdiction when it convicted Kalu.
- Lagos govt says negotiations are ongoing with manufacturers to make COVID-19 vaccines available
- “Scammers bent on defrauding job seekers” -EFCC raise alert
- Just In: Nigeria orders immediate closure of enrollment activities at NIMC Headquarters
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match