Estimated Reading Time: 1
Staff of the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria in Kano, Lagos and Abuja converged on the airport premises for a peaceful protest staged against a concession attempt by the Federal Government.The staff moved round the airport Monday morning holding placards and singing solidarity songs.
Sama’ila Muhammad Alkali, the Chairman of Air Transport Service, Senior Staff Association of Nigeria in Kano said the procession was organised to also reject in totality the movement of FAAN Staff to contributory pensions.According to him, they are always available to sit with the government to discuss better ways of concessions.
Likewise Comrade Ahmed Danjuma, Chairman, Air Transport Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, FAAN branch addressed members protesting at Freedom Square, Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, Lagos.
The aviation workers also kicked against the government directive to return all staff that retired from 1st April 2014 to PenCom.
The federal government has revealed readiness to give out terminal building, toll Gates and non-eronotic areas to private operators in a public-private enterprise.
The members of the Air Transport Service Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSSAN), National Union of Air Transport Employee (NUATE), and Association of Nigeria Aviation Professionals (ANAP) had also set aside Monday 31st August to embark on the peaceful protest to register their displeasure on the government position.
The Association says FAAN staff are satisfied with the traditional pension scheme being operated by FAAN and would rather not succumb to any forceful attempt to return aviation workers to PENCOM.
- Nigerian Army deploys 300 female officers to volatile Abuja-Kaduna highway
- Outrage as Abuja area council charges hotel N500,000 radio and television licence fee
- 3rd Mainland Bridge to be shut for another 3 days – FG
- COVID-19 outbreak in Anambra House of Assembly; plenty cancelled
- NANS support NDLEA’s proposal to administer drug tests to students before admissions
- Nigerians can now register for NIN with Telcos – NIMC
- Electricity: Power sub-stations in Oyo and Ogun States to be completed with N124.2 million – FG
- Federal Executive Council approves N995 Million for road projects
- Governor Seyi Makinde deploys 200 Amotekun operatives in Ibarapa
- House of Representatives promises to pass PIB by April