Estimated Reading Time: 2
President Buhari’s nephew, Mamman Daura has travelled to the UK on Wednesday but he is “in good health”, his family says
There are social media reports that the former journalist and industrialist had been infected with COVID-19 and was flown out on medical emergency.
He was said to have developed breathing difficulties “consistent with COVID-19” on Friday and was reportedly flown out on Wednesday for treatment.
However, Daura was at the burial of Wada Maida, former MD of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on Tuesday without showing any signs of illness.
“It is true he travelled to the UK on Wednesday. Every other thing is imagined, just to give the story some sensation. He is in good health,” a family member, who declined to be named “because it is not necessary”, told TheCable.
Another family member said: “It is impossible that a man, who is over 80, would have breathing problems on Friday and the family would wait for five days before flying him abroad in an emergency. A man having breathing problems on Friday would not attend a public funeral on Tuesday.
“The reports said he was flown out in a private jet, although people with medical emergencies are usually flown in air ambulances.
“More so, what country in the world is receiving foreign COVID-19 patients at this time? You are required to be COVID negative before you can fly. Every country is paying priority to their own citizens because of the overwhelming nature of the pandemic.
“Mallam did not travel to the UK to treat COVID-19 or because of any medical emergency. He is in good health. He went for his regular check-up and there is nothing strange about that.”
Reminded that there is currently a ban on international air travels, the source said “that is a different matter entirely… there have been special flights authorised out of the country, and that does not mean those authorised to fly had COVID-19”.
Daura recently ignited controversy when he said Nigeria should abandon power rotation and zoning.
- Reconsidering Lagos State’s approach to the COVID-19 second wave
- 80-year-old, ward head and three others killed in bandits attack in Kaduna
- Bandits kidnap 17 persons in three communities in Niger State
- In Katsina, 21-year-old labourer, Abubakar Sani, dragged to court over alleged homosexual (rape) of an eight-year-old boy
- COVID-19: We have capacity to test 600 people daily – Governor Obaseki
- The Nigerian Government is selling properties to fund the 2021 budget – what happens after ?
- 2023: Fayemi is the most qualified presidential candidate from South-West – APC spokesperson declares
- Just In: FG says it is mandatory for foreign diplomats to obtain the National Identity Numbers
- Breaking: Ex-finance minister, Jubril Martins-Kuye is dead
- We will continue to demand the unconditional release of El-Zakzaky – IMN