Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigerian Lawyers on social media have opposed the Nigerian Bar Association’s invitation of the Kaduna state Governor Nasir El Rufai as a Speaker at its 60th Annual General Conference
Governor El-Rufai is one of the speakers at the event scheduled for August 26 – 29, 2020 with the theme: ‘A United Nigeria The Myths and The Next Generation.’
The lawyers criticised NBA President Paul Usoro for El-Rufai’s invitation over the recent killings in Southern Kaduna, alleged disdain for court orders and the unrest in the state
According to reports, gunmen have killed at least 178 people in the past 7 months across southern Kaduna communities.
Expressing outrage on Twitter with the hashtag #CancelElRufai2020, some lawyers said they have cancelled their attendance of the virtual conference, the first of its kind in the association’s history.
The Open Bar initiative, an advocacy group for lawyers, also wrote an official letter protesting the invitation, requesting the NBA to withdraw El-Rufai’s invitation
Some speakers at the event include Vice President Yemi Osinbajo; Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike; Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila and Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon Justice Tanko Mohammed.
Others include former President Olusegun Obasanjo; former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu; Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami; President of the Commonwealth Lawyers Association (CLA), Brian Speers and Director of Training at the Judicial Institute for Africa; Hon Dame Linda, Dobbs.
Here are some of the reactions from Twitter
- South-West Governors ban all forms of open grazing in the region
- Pregnant woman killed by bandits in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State
- Cross River, EU destroy arms surrendered by militants in the state
- State Governors meet with Miyetti Allah in Akure; here are some of the resolutions reached
- Filmmakers should collect permit to avoid harassment – Sanwo-Olu
- Federal Government is insincere with the handling of herdsmen crisis – Bamikole Omisore
- How I lost my wife, 4 children to Flood – 50-year-old man narrates in new CDD documentary
- Gunmen who invaded Abuja orphanage demand for N30 Million
- Governor Kayode Fayemi, says herdsmen were not asked to vacate Ondo State – blames the media
- Just In: Court orders Kaduna prison to release El-Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenat for COVID treatment