Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Kano State government says it has spent N5b in establishing a skill acquisition centre in the state, training over 400,000 youths in various skills in the last five years.
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje stated this on Saturday while delivering an address during this year’s International Youths Day celebration organised by the Ministry of Youths and Sports Development in Kano.
According to him, ”the areas of the training include: automobile technicians, carpentry, welding, tailoring, Tricycle repairs, volcanizers and other vocational skills.
“We have spent N5b in constructing the Ultra Modern Skills Acquisition Centre and named it after the Nigeria’s business Mogul, Alhaji Aliko Dangote.”
The Commissioner for Youths, Kabiru Lakwaya called on the State government to adopt some resolutions reached during 4th session of the Nigeria Youth Parliament that took place in December 2019.
“The International Youth Day is set aside by the United Nations organisation for collaborations with and among member nations, international and local development partners aimed at enhancing the socio-economic well being of youth that constitute over 60% of the world population.
“A lot of resolutions were passed during the Kano sitting such as:
“The need for investment in youth capital development to harness youth empowerment.
“The need for the North East Development Commission to engage the young generation in resolving the menace in that geopolitical zone of the country.
”The need for the removal of age limit as one of the requirements for job recruitment in Nigeria.
“The need to declare state of emergency in education in Nigeria.
“This is precipitated by the Kano state initiative of providing free and compulsory education at primary and secondary school levels,” he stated.
The Commissioner also urged the state government to pass track the opening of the skills acquisition center, to boost the morale of the youth to become self reliant.
- ‘Avoid politicians approaching you to destabilize the government’ – Buratai warns Generals
- Lagos Senatorial by-elections hold today
- ‘Fisayo Soyombo Wins Kurt Schork Award in International Journalism after five attempts in six years
- Ali Ndume to withdraw as Abdulrasheed Maina’s Surety
- Nominations the 14th Headies Award is out, Check out the complete list
- Murder: Court upholds death sentence for Maryam Sanda
- Canadian Government supports Nigeria to strengthen security at the borders
- By-Election: Police in Lagos announce restriction of movement from 6am – 6pm in affected areas
- Arik Air sacks 300 staff members, claims economic hardship
- Patrick Vieira has been sacked as coach of Nice