Estimated Reading Time: 1
An Upper Shari’a Court in Kano has sentenced a 22-year-old singer Yahaya Aminu Sharif to death by hanging for blasphemy against Prophet of Muhammad.
Ruling on Monday, the Shari’a court Khadi, Aliyu Muhammad Kani, said Yahaya Aminu Sharif was found guilty of the one-count charge bordering on derogatory comment contained in one of his songs.
Yahaya Aminu Sharif, a resident of Sharifai quarters in Kano municipal, was accused of committing blasphemy against the prophet in a song he circulated via WhatsApp in March 2020.
Sharif’s action came to public knowledge on March 4, 2020, when hundreds of angry youths stormed the Kano Hisbah Board headquarters in protest against what they considered an uncomplimentary assault on Prophet Muhammad.
In their displeasure, the youths accused government and security agencies of undue protection and failure to act appropriately against Sharif.
As a result of what they perceived as alleged protection of the accused, the youths in the area razed down Sharif’s family house after the disappearance of Yahaya Aminu Sharif when they invaded his residence.
- Auschwitz museum director begs Buhari for 13 year old boy jailed for blasphemy
- Tiv/Jukun conflict: Governor Ishaku urges fleeing communities to return home
- Obaseki says it will be immoral to return to APC, after meeting with Buhari
- Fact Check: Did Obasanjo really inherit $3 billion in foreign reserves?
- Lagos, Oyo, Kogi, Osun and Ekiti top list of states technically insolvent – Report
- APC Suspends Governor Kayode Fayemi for anti-party activities
- Insecurity: We should speak the truth about things we haven’t gotten right says Gbajabiamila
- The Nigerian Navy launches first purpose built hydrographic survey vessel
- INVESTIGATION: Ticketing Corruption by Railway Staff, Soldiers, Policemen Derailing Abuja-Kaduna Rail Project #TheTrainHasDerailed
- Landlords should see how they can work out yearly rent to monthly payments – Sanwo-Olu