Estimated Reading Time: 2
President Muhammadu Buhari has held a meeting with Governors of the six states of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba and Yobe, today to address the insecurity ravaging the North East region
Speaking at the meeting, President Buhari pledged to continue doing his best to secure all parts of the country, despite lean resources at its disposal.
He said: “I listened to the Chairman of the Forum, the Governor of Borno, whose state is the hot spot now in the North-East, Adamawa, Bauchi and the rest of them are enjoying peace I hope they are respecting the sacrifice made by the military.
“I assure you that the government is doing its best but lack of resources has become a problem. COVID-19 is a phenomenon, it has no respect for colour, you can’t smell it, you can’t see it, you can’t hear it. America and us are the same, it’s a fantastic phenomenon I think we should go back to God.
“I assure you, North-East Governors especially the Governor of Borno, that we go to bed and wake up thinking about you and how to secure our country because that is the fundamental responsibility of a government-security and our party recognises this as one of the three fundamental issues we campaigned with. ”
Commenting on political developments in the country, President Buhari said he was proud of the governing party, the All Progressives Congress APC, which he described as impartial, adding that the country’s democracy was still developing and government will do its best to sustain it.
Earlier in his remarks, Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum, who is the Chairman, North-East Governors’ Forum, thanked the President for intervening in their situation.
He however, identified the lack of access to farmland a major impediment to the return of peace to the region.
All Governors of the six States of the North-East were present. They include those of Adamawa, Umaru Fintiri, Bauchi, Bala Mohammed, Borno, Professor Babagana Zulum, Gombe, Inuwa Yahaya, Taraba, Darius Ishaku and Yobe, Mai-Mala Buni
- APC Suspension: ‘A joke taken too far’ says Fayemi
- Auschwitz museum director begs Buhari for 13 year old boy jailed for blasphemy
- Tiv/Jukun conflict: Governor Ishaku urges fleeing communities to return home
- Obaseki says it will be immoral to return to APC, after meeting with Buhari
- Fact Check: Did Obasanjo really inherit $3 billion in foreign reserves?
- Lagos, Oyo, Kogi, Osun and Ekiti top list of states technically insolvent – Report
- APC Suspends Governor Kayode Fayemi for anti-party activities
- Insecurity: We should speak the truth about things we haven’t gotten right says Gbajabiamila
- The Nigerian Navy launches first purpose built hydrographic survey vessel
- INVESTIGATION: Ticketing Corruption by Railway Staff, Soldiers, Policemen Derailing Abuja-Kaduna Rail Project #TheTrainHasDerailed