Estimated Reading Time: 2
The US government has said it would seem security forces were taking sides in the unfolding election process in Edo state where tension is rising after policemen took over the state house of assembly.
The strange action by the police is believed to have been enabled by the tacit support of the federal attorney general…
In a statement issued Saturday through its Embassy in Nigeria, the U.S government said it is concerned about reports of the deteriorating political climate in Edo State and is disappointed with the role played by some political actors in the state.
Noting that the United States supports “a democratic process where the will of the Nigerian people is reflected in the results, and does not favour any party or candidate”, the country said it will continue to monitor closely in the run-up to gubernatorial elections slated for September in Edo State.
The statement reads in part: ‘As long-time friends of Nigeria, we continue to follow political developments ahead of off-cycle elections in the country.
“As we approach the 2020 off-cycle elections in Edo and Ondo, we urge all stakeholders to work towards a free, fair, transparent and peaceful process.
“We encourage all stakeholders, including INEC, political parties and the security services, to continue to improve the electoral process.”
The United States said it was concerned about reports of the deteriorating political climate in Edo State and are disappointed with the role played by some political actors in the state.
“We look to Nigeria as an important leader on the African continent.
“As a democratic partner of Nigeria, the United States remains committed to working together to achieve our mutual goals of peace and prosperity for the citizens of both our countries.”
Meanwhile, the Deputy Governor, Comr Philip Shaibu, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari, the Inspector General of Police, Department of State Services and other authorities concerned to as a matter of urgency
He said; ” we have intelligence that some individuals are in Edo State courtesy of the former national chairman of the All Progressive Congress, APC, and the names of persons and their mode of entry have been communicated to security agencies.
“Their assignment is to come and assassinate some known individuals in the State. We want president Buhari to tell the security to do their work. Edo is not going to be a theatre of war, we are law abiding,” he said.
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match
- Abia State Government gives 7 Days ultimatum to street traders in Aba
- Oyo State gets first female Police Commissioner
- Wedding Photos: Former speaker Dimeji Bankole weds Kebbi Governor’s daughter