Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, has urged the management of Turkish Air, Air Peace and Bristow Helicopters to reinstate all the sacked workers within two weeks.
Ayuba Wabba, NLC President, said this in a statement on Friday in Abuja, while condemning the recent sack of 100 Pilots by Air Peace, 69 Pilots by Bristow Helicopters.
Mr Wabba said that the Congress also rejected the sack of the National Union of Air Transport Employees, NUATE, executives working with the Turkish Air.
“We call on the management of Turkish Air, Air Peace and Bristow Helicopters to reinstate all the sacked workers within two weeks.
“As agreed between labour and Employers’ associations, social dialogue should be used to resolve industrial concerns instead of the current resort to unilateralism.
“We will not hesitate to mobilise the weight of the entire Nigerian workforce to the premises of Turkish Air, Air Peace and Bristow Helicopters if our demands are not met,” he said.
The NLC President said that the sack was traumatic for workers who were still reeling from psychological and socio-economic difficulties imposed by the recent lockdown measures.
He said that the sack of Air Turkish, Air Peace and Bristow Helicopters workers was “highly insensitive, callous, and unjust’’.
Mr Wabba said that the unilateral sack of executive members of the National Union of Air Transport Employees, NUATE, working with Turkish Airline was particularly distressing.
“These workers were sacked for fighting for the rights of Nigerian workers in Turkish Air. This is very reprehensible.
“We wish to remind Turkish Air that unionised workers cannot be punished or sacked for participating in trade union activities.
“This action is aimed at frustrating unionisation in Turkish Air and to enslave Nigerians working with Turkish Air,” he said.
- Over 15 million Nigerians abuse drugs – NDLEA new boss promises to end drug abuse
- Abuja resident hospitalised after IGP’s orderly fires AK-47 rifle in beer parlour
- Buba Marwa resumes office as NDLEA Chairman
- Invest in dispelling COVID-19 misinformation – Cross River Primary Healthcare DG urges FG
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students