Estimated Reading Time: 1
A candidate in 2020 Nigerian Bar Association presidential election, Dele Adesina, has asked the Body of Trustees of the association to cancel the just-concluded poll.
He made the demand in a petition addressed to the Chairman, Board of Trustees of the Association.
Olumide Akpata had defeated Adesina and Babatunde Ajibade to emerge the 30th President of the NBA.
In the petition, Adesina alleged that the election was marred by over-voting, disenfranchisement of some eligible voters, and non-compliance with the provisions of the NBA constitution.
He said, “I urge the members of the Board of Trustees of the NBA to intervene and right these wrongs and save the NBA from condemnation and destruction. I believe that leaders must do things right and/or ensure that things are done right. It is needless to say, Mr Chairman and other members of the Board of Trustees of the NBA, that if the process is wrong, the product cannot be right. If the election process is wrongful and unconstitutional, the outcome must suffer the same fate and be cancelled.
“Since 2016 when this electronic voting system started, there have been consistent allegations of system manipulation and rigging which has resulted in litigation over NBA elections. As at today, a criminal action arising from the NBA Election of 2018 is still pending at the Federal High Court. This is a shame to all of us without exception. Patriotism must guide our aspirations and our conscience must always be our companion. The time has come to regain the integrity of the Nigerian Bar Association by putting an end to unconstitutional and fraudulent elections in our association.”
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students
- Just In: Unknown number of travelers abducted in Osun State
- Breaking: Governor Akeredolu orders herdsmen to vacate Ondo forest reserves
- Commissioners and special advisers in Osun have been ordered to take COVID-19 tests
- Police arrest sergeant for alleged armed robbery in Rivers State