Estimated Reading Time: 1
Some gunmen, on Wednesday, attacked a bullion van in Ebonyi State, killing four police officers escorting the vehicle.
The gunmen, it was gathered, tried unsuccessfully to intercept the bullion van at Ezzamgbo junction, in Ohaukwu Local Government Area, Premium Times reports.
The van was transporting money from Enugu to Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital.
The robbers in a bid to intercept the van and cart away the money, first fired at the escort van conveying the police officers.
Four police officers were killed in the attack while two sustained injuries.
The commissioner of police in the state, Philip Maku, has confirmed the incident.
According to him, the robbers trailed the van from Enugu State.
He said the robbers were not able to loot the van as the driver managed to escape with the van.
“They damaged one of the tires of the bullion van but the driver was able to escape with the van. They could not give chase as the driver was driving towards the military checkpoint ahead,” he said.
The police chief said the two injured policemen are receiving treatment while the corpses have been deposited at the mortuary.
Mr Maku said the police have launched a manhunt for the fleeing robbers.
- After a 2 year break, singer-songwriter DavidB, is back with ‘These Crazy Times’
- Chief Sunday Igboho insists Fulani herdsmen must leave Yoruba Land
- Don Jazzy unveils new 18-year-old female artiste
- Insecurity: Nasarawa State turns to President Buhari for help
- I raped her for collecting my money and refusing me sex – Suspect confesses
- Investigation: Nigeria’s government is waging a never-ending war on public freedoms
- My son knows I am vehemently against his sexuality – Doyin Okupe reacts to his son’s sexuality
- Gani Adams support Akeredolu’s quit notice to herdsmen
- Court convicts 20-year-old for doctoring fake ‘Sex Tape’ of Imo Commissioner, Willie Amadi
- Yoruba people traditionally have what it takes to defend themselves against all enemy attacks – Alaafin writes open letter to Buhari