Estimated Reading Time: 1
Some gunmen, on Wednesday, attacked a bullion van in Ebonyi State, killing four police officers escorting the vehicle.
The gunmen, it was gathered, tried unsuccessfully to intercept the bullion van at Ezzamgbo junction, in Ohaukwu Local Government Area, Premium Times reports.
The van was transporting money from Enugu to Abakaliki, the Ebonyi State capital.
The robbers in a bid to intercept the van and cart away the money, first fired at the escort van conveying the police officers.
Four police officers were killed in the attack while two sustained injuries.
The commissioner of police in the state, Philip Maku, has confirmed the incident.
According to him, the robbers trailed the van from Enugu State.
He said the robbers were not able to loot the van as the driver managed to escape with the van.
“They damaged one of the tires of the bullion van but the driver was able to escape with the van. They could not give chase as the driver was driving towards the military checkpoint ahead,” he said.
The police chief said the two injured policemen are receiving treatment while the corpses have been deposited at the mortuary.
Mr Maku said the police have launched a manhunt for the fleeing robbers.
- Kaduna Government closes sports betting shops across the state
- Edo Decides: Early signs of a transition from party-based elections?
- Imo State governor, Hope Uzodinma, has rejected Edo election results – vows APC will win in court #EdoDecides2020
- “There is no more APC” – Senator Rochas Okorocha speaks after defeat of the party in Edo #EdoDecides2020
- “We would have loved to win,” – Governor El-Rufai says APC defeat in Edo was a surprise
- Hamzat Lawal: Okonjo-Iweala represents what the WTO needs at this moment
- Nigeria’s monthly oil revenue crashes by 75% – NNPC Report
- PHOTOS: NFF unveils new kit for Super Eagles and Falcons
- Health Workers call off 7 day strike
- “No one should say shit about Ganduje” – Fatima, Kano Governors daughter defends her father #EdoDecides2020