Estimated Reading Time: 1
The people of Ugep, headquarters of Yakurr local government area of Cross River State will on Wednesday, July 22, 2020, stage a walk to raise awareness and campaign against cultism and violence.
This is coming on the heels of rising cases of cultism, violence, as well as gang related disturbances in the area.
The organizers, Coalition of Concerned Ugep Youths, in a statement said: “Our community (Ugep) is currently ravaged with an ugly trend of cultism, violence, drug abuse, thuggery and many other societal ills that is gradually eating up our land. We cannot continue to keep quiet and pretend that all is well while our young ones continue to kill themselves and put our land in disarray.
“Ugep is known to be one the most peaceful places to live and do business in Cross River State. There is no gainsaying that current indices points the opposite direction.
“Security of life’s and property is paramount to the development of every society, and we cannot continue to fold our hands and watch that slip through our feet.
“Cultism deters peace and no meaningful development can strive in an environment where peace is extinct. We must therefore rise to the challenge, and ensure that this hydraheaded monster called “cultism” is nipped in the bud.
“With the current issues, we are calling on the civil society, sons and daughters of Ugep and its environs to rise up, join the campaign and raise a strong voice against this ugly trend.
We are also calling on young people who are involved in this devilish acts to desist from any further killings and give peace a chance.
“This is an independent campaign and we hope that it will help reawaken the consciousness of the younger generation on the negative effects and dangers of cultism on the victims and the society at large.”
The campaign is billed to kick-off by 8 AM at the popular Umor-Otutu roundabout.
- Abuja resident hospitalised after IGP’s orderly fires AK-47 rifle in beer parlour
- Buba Marwa resumes office as NDLEA Chairman
- Invest in dispelling COVID-19 misinformation – Cross River Primary Healthcare DG urges FG
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students
- Just In: Unknown number of travelers abducted in Osun State