Estimated Reading Time: 1
Former Zamfara State Governor, Abdulaziz Yari, has allegedly assaulted an environmental officer enforcing the COVID-19 protocol put in place to curb the spread of the dreaded virus at the nation’s airports.
It was learnt that the incident happened on Saturday at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport in Kano State.
The airport officer, according to the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, tried to disinfect the luggage of the former governor who was a passenger but Yari pushed him away, claiming he was a very important personality.
FAAN in a statement on Wednesday condemned the act which it described as “irresponsible” and “unacceptable”.
With the resumption of domestic flights in the country since March, Aviation Minister, Hadi Sirika, had on Monday appealed to all personalities and governors to abide by the new health and passenger facilitation protocols at the nation’s airports.
But the airport Authority said Yari “blatantly violated the public health procedures on COVID-19”.
The statement read in part, “The Management of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria hereby strongly condemns the conduct of the former Governor of Zamfara State, Alh. Abdulaziz Yari who blatantly violated the Public Health procedures (COVID-19) on travels at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport on Saturday 11th July 2020.
“He refused to adhere to the protocols and procedures put in place by the Federal Government through the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 19 by forcefully pushing away an officer of the Environment Department when he insisted that his luggage must be disinfected.
“The former Governor said the officer should have known he is a VIP.
“This irresponsible act endangers all other airport users, it is unacceptable, and as such it has been duly escalated.
“FAAN hereby cautions all airport users, especially our esteemed VIPs to please respect the Presidential directive by observing the Public Health travel protocols put in place to protect all air travellers against infection and the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
- Joe Biden picks former rival Kamala Harris as running mate
- Mahatma Gandhi’s glasses go on sale August 21 for over $19,000
- Lagos courts deliver judgments on 122 sexual offences in 2020 – DPP
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others