Estimated Reading Time: 1
A man has been arrested for allegedly luring an American woman to Nigeria and defrauding her of $48,000
The 64-year-old woman said she met Chukwuebuka Kasi Obiaku, 34, on Facebook, police spokesman Frank Mba said.
He invited her to Nigeria under the “pretext of love and marriage.”The woman, a retired government worker, arrived in Nigeria from Washington, DC, in February 2019, and they married three months later. However, the relationship deteriorated soon after the wedding, and Obiaku kept her captive in a Lagos hotel for more than a year.
Obiaku used the woman’s identity to extort her associates and swindle international companies.He forced her “to use her American accent to ask associates and organizations for money. He made her assume several characters and in a particular case, he told her to act as a nanny on the phone to swindle some people,” The police revealed
He also took over her credit cards and collected her retirement payments for 15 months.
According to the statement given to the police, the suspect admitted to the police that the wedding in Lagos was a ruse to gain her confidence and later extort money from her.The woman was eventually rescued after police received a tip-off about the case from another Nigerian.
The police said the arrest came after a similar case where they rescued a 40-year-old Filipino woman held captive by her lover whom she also met on Facebook.
- Joe Biden picks former rival Kamala Harris as running mate
- Mahatma Gandhi’s glasses go on sale August 21 for over $19,000
- Lagos courts deliver judgments on 122 sexual offences in 2020 – DPP
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others