Estimated Reading Time: 2
Operatives of the Department of State Services and Nigeria Police Force spent all evening searching the house of Ibrahim Magu, suspended Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
Multiple reports say, the search is took place at Magu’s residence in Karu and Maitama in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja,
Magu was arrested on Monday over allegations of corruption and diversion of public funds, but NewsWireNGR recalls that shortly after the arrest, the Department of State Security Services denied the arrests but it didn’t take long before it was revealed that he had been held all evening Monday.
Punch Newspaper reports that at 830p.m. Magu was driven from the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa venue of the panel’s sitting back to the Force Criminal Investigation Bureau where he passed the night on Monday.
“Yes. Magu has returned to police custody. He left the venue of the panel’s sitting at 8.30pm and was driven back to the same police facility where he was detained on Monday,” a source told one of our correspondents on Tuesday evening.
most of the allegations against Magu emanated from a report by the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), and a report of the Department of State Services, which was submitted to the Senate in 2016 and 2017.
Among others, the suspended EFCC boss was accused of living above his means, fraternising with corrupt persons and diverting recovered funds.
When the panel resumed sitting at noon on Tuesday at the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja like what happened on Monday, security operatives stopped State House reporters from gaining access into the venue.
Confirming Magu’s suspension, a source told The PUNCH, “It is commonsensical that when an investigation of this nature is ongoing, you don’t allow the person being investigated to keep the keys of the office for which he is being investigated.
“This is because if he keeps the keys, there can be a kind of tampering with documents or evidence. It is not logical and it is even undemocratic to allow such to happen.”
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students
- Just In: Unknown number of travelers abducted in Osun State
- Breaking: Governor Akeredolu orders herdsmen to vacate Ondo forest reserves
- Commissioners and special advisers in Osun have been ordered to take COVID-19 tests
- Police arrest sergeant for alleged armed robbery in Rivers State