Estimated Reading Time: 2
The leadership of the Ondo state House of Assembly has suspended two lawmakers for unruly behavior.
The affected lawmakers are the Deputy Speaker of the house, Iroju Ogundeji, and another member of the House, Adewale Williams.
Ogundeji is one of the lawmakers who dissociated themselves from the impeachment process of Ondo deputy governor, Agboola Ajayi.
NewsWireNGR had reported that, barely a week after testing positive for COVID-19, the governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, said he has tested negative.
On the 5th of June, the deputy governor, Agboola Ajayi had advised him to hand over the governance of the state to him in acting capacity since he was incapacitated.
In a statement by his Media Adviser, Allen Sowore, the Deputy Governor said the refusal by Akeredolu to handover the governance of the state was a flagrant disregard for the country’s constitution.
He disclosed that the governor, who is also a lawyer should know better and hand over to him instead of halting the smooth running of governance in the state because of his COVID-19 status.
He gave the governor a 21-day ultimatum to hand over and allow him carry out government activities for the benefit of the state.
Ajayi said, “Section 190 (2) of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) is apposite in the prevailing constitutional abberation in Ondo State.
“However, it should be noted that Mr Governor is at liberty to handover or not within 21 days after which the constitution becomes operational.
“Ostensibly, the refusal and failure of Mr Governor to handover the running of government to his deputy while he is temporarily incapacitated in self- isolation underscores his absolute disregard for our nation’s supreme document, 1999 constitution (as amended) as well as the tenets of rule of law.
“The governor’s position is a spite on Ondo State people and a direct assault on the provisions of the constitution which he swore to uphold.
“Governor Akeredolu’s deliberate mounting of obstacles to smooth running of government machinery while he’s in self isolation as a result of the fact that he has been tested positive for COVID-19 privileges the hypocratical nature of Ondo State Government’s war against the ravaging pandemic.”
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others
- Abubakar Malami denies corruption allegations; writes to Buhari
- Covid-19: Lagos council demands fumigation fees, certificates from churches
- Hollywood actor Antonio Banderas tests positive for COVID-19
- Breaking: Federal High Court orders substituted service of disqualification suit on Ize-Iyamu
- Civil servants on levels 12, 13 have been directed to resume work