Estimated Reading Time: 1
The National Assembly will on Wednesday July 8, hold a special hearing on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) in Nigeria.
The session which is expected to be co-chaired by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila and the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, will hold by 5pm in a joint session of the Senate and House Committees on Human Rights, Health, Women’s Affairs, Police Affairs, NGOs and the Judiciary.
According to the joint panels, the special session will hold in two parts: a virtual participation by the public, followed by a closed session to facilitate survivor testimonies.
There have been rampant cases of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence across the country, with some advocating for stiffer penalties for offenders.
This special hearing will provide an opportunity for SGBV survivors to give first-hand account of their experiences, with a view to highlighting the current gaps in the provision of services and access to justice for survivors.
The aim is to gather feedback that will support the National Assembly’s effort to develop and implement a clear plan to address systemic challenges and obstacles that impede access to justice and comprehensive support services for survivors.
The joint committees are therefore encouraging key stakeholders and members of the public who wish to follow the proceedings to join the live stream on the following platforms:
Zoom: Meeting ID: 828 7520 9478
Zoom Password: 875675
Live streaming on: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/omoagege1/
Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, to the Deputy President of the Senate.
- After 15 years, Shoprite considers ending its Nigeria operations
- In Ogun state, parents reject N25,000 COVID-19 test levy for returning students
- $125 million fraud: NNPC to take Mexican oil firm to court
- Taraba is the only state where nobody has died from COVID-19 according to NCDC data
- Breaking: Air Peace allegedly sacks most of its pilots over pay dispute
- Abia Governor sacks commissioner for transport, suspends others
- Lagos boat mishaps: Sack LASWA management, PDP asks Sanwo-Olu
- “Nigeria’s sovereignty may have been traded for foreign loans” – Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar raises alarm
- Osun Government says hotels, bars, and clubs violating COVID-19 protocol to pay N250, 000 fine
- COVID-19: Lagos state government to shut down Eti-Osa and Agidingbi isolation centres