Estimated Reading Time: 1
Barely a month after his release from prison, the chief whip of the Senate, Orji Kalu, has proposed amendments to the Criminal Justice Act of 2015.
The bill titled ‘Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015 (amendment) Bill’, 2020 was read for the first time on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday.
The former Abia State governor was released from the Kuje Correctional Centre having spent about six months there. He was convicted and sentenced for money laundering to the tune of N7.1 billion by Lagos federal high court in December.
Mr Kalu, who stood trial alongside Ude Udeogu, a former director of finance and account in Abia, was sentenced by Justice Mohammed Idris, who as of then had been elevated to the court of appeal bench, in a legal tussle that started in 2007.
But, on May 8 this year, the supreme court, in a unanimous decision by a seven-member panel led by Justice Amina Augie, held that the Lagos Federal High Court lacked jurisdiction when it convicted Mr Kalu, his firm, Slok Nigeria Limited, and Mr Udeogu.
Upon his release, Mr Kalu, who described his ordeal as initial injustice that was caught and ultimately corrected, vowed to dedicate his time to ensure there will be justice for all Nigerians.
He lamented that over 70 per cent of the population in prison are awaiting trial.
“Justice for one man or for a few people will no longer be enough in this country. A system whereby over 70 per cent of all prison inmates population is made up of people awaiting trial cannot be allowed to continue.
- Joe Biden picks former rival Kamala Harris as running mate
- Mahatma Gandhi’s glasses go on sale August 21 for over $19,000
- Lagos courts deliver judgments on 122 sexual offences in 2020 – DPP
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others