Estimated Reading Time: 1
Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa has deplored the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the state.
The Governor who currently on 14-day self-isolation with his family after one of his daughters tested positive for COVID-19, advised the people to adhere to the preventive guidelines and safety protocols issued by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC noting that covid-19 is real and can affect both the rich and the poor.
Governor Okowa in a statement personally signed by himself regrets that many people still think that covid-19 is a hoax when over 20 persons in the state have died of the disease including some prominent citizens.
According to the governor, the state has recorded 106 new cases in a space of 24 hours with the total number of confirmed cases jumping to 781. He passionately appeals to the people of the state to realise that the disease is real.
The governor called on residents of the 7 most affected local government areas of Oshimmili north, Oshimmili South, Warri South, Uvwie, Ughelli North, Ethiope West and Sapele to be on red alert.
He also emphasised that the relaxation of the covid-19 lockdown measures to enable the people take care of their families does not in any way suggest that the danger posed by the pandemic is over.
“Our isolation centres are currently overwhelmed with the number of cases. Unless we proactively and collectively take drastic actions to reverse the trend, we stand the risk of becoming another epicentre for the pandemic.” The Governor further warned.
- Nigeria’s Dapo Olorunyomi, honoured with the International Press Freedom award
- Federal Government will pay salaries of private school teachers – NAPPS
- AGF Abubarkar Malami sues Sahara Reporters
- Just In: FG releases guidelines for schools’ resumption
- NMA wants Nigerians to avoid unnecessary visits or consultations to hospitals to minimise COVID-19 spread
- How Nigeria’s Federal Government, States, LGAs shared N7.8tr in 2019
- Magu-Gate: Prophet Omale responds to money laundering allegations, sues NAN for N1 Billion
- “Publish all tenders and all contracts” – Okonjo-Iweala said she saved billions of dollars as finance minister
- Fire guts World Trade Centre, Abuja
- Former NDDC boss Joi Nunieh accuses Niger Delta minister Akpabio of sexual harassment