Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami says there is no legal impediment on him in relation to the administration of oaths.
Malami said this in a statement issued by Dr Umar Gwandu, his Special Assistant on Media in Abuja.
He explained that the office of the Attorney General exercises dual functions inclusive of that of Minister of Justice which is a political and advisory function and administration of justice.
He said that working towards the entrenchment of democracy and democratic culture is not only a desirable responsibility but constitutional, regarding the constitutional provisions and the demand for the sustenance of democracy in Nigeria.
Malami added that a federation is an embodiment of governance inclusive of the Executive, Legislature and Judiciary with a possible expansion to accommodate private, corporate and associated entities.
“Within that context, it will not be out of place for the Attorney-General of the Federation to administer an oath on anyone, including the leadership of any political party, whether he belongs to it or not.
“Within this context, a lawyer, a judge and indeed a private legal practitioner and a commissioner for an oath, are recognized statutorily as people vested with the power to administer an oath.
“An Attorney General of the federation who clearly falls within that circle, cannot be an exception”, he said.
He said that the fundamental question that begs for an answer remains whether there is an existence of any legal impediment preventing the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice from administering an oath.
He, therefore, renewed his commitment to discharging his constitutional responsibilities of upholding the democratic culture and compliance to the rule of law.
- “No one should say shit about Ganduje” – Fatima, Kano Governors daughter defends her father #EdoDecides2020
- UK Congratulates Governor Obaseki, Commends Electoral process
- APC rejects Edo Governorship election #EdoDecides2020
- “My supporters endured evils”- APC Candidate Ize-Iyamu breaks silence #EdoDecides2020
- My commitment to free and fair elections is firm – President Buhari Congratulates Obaseki
- Edo has decided; Godwin Obaseki reelected as Governor
- @inecnigeria declares Godwin Obaseki of the People’s Democratic Party winner of the 2020 Edo governorship election
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Enter Nyesom Wike; Obaseki’s new Godfather
- @SERAP wants Buhari to jettison the proposed amendment to the act establishing EFCC
- Breaking: Governor Godwin Obaseki wins Ize-Iyamu’s LGA