Estimated Reading Time: 2
Ahead of the September 19 governorship election in Edo State, Governor Godwin Obaseki has received his Certificate of Return from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The certificate was issued on Saturday by the PDP National Chairman, Uche Secondus in Abuja, the nation’s capital.
This was confirmed on the party’s Twitter handle, June 27, 2020.
Mr Secondus also presented the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) nomination form to the governor.
Incumbent Governor Obaseki who only recently defected to the PDP is going to be running against Pastor Ize Iyamu of the All Progressives Congress, APC.
Meanwhile, Godwin Obaseki, governor of Edo state, has said he was tempted to quit his reelection bid.
Speaking after emerging the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for the upcoming Edo governorship election, Obaseki said he continued with the support of his family and some governors.
Obaseki was granted a waiver to contest under the PDP after defecting from the All Progressives Congress (APC).
His reelection bid was being challenged by four other aspirants in the PDP but all of them later stood down for him to emerge unopposed.
The governor said his desire to improve the life of Edo people “has been my daily driving force and also my greatest incentive”.
“The victory we are celebrating today has been a long and strenuous walk to political freedom which, as from today, in my election as the standard bearer of our great party, by the grace of God, I will be governor again for another four years,” he said.
“Much has been entrusted to me by the representatives of our great party, and this responsibility will enable me to consolidate on the achievements that we have made.
“It will enable me to deepen good governance in Edo State. It will help us to restore the pride of Edo people and make Edo one of the best states in Nigeria.
“…we have demonstrated again that no mountain is too high to stop the aspiration of a people that have put their faith in God and that is called by God to make life better for the greater majority of the people.
“I must admit that there was a time in this struggle when as a mere mortal, I was almost tempted to quit. But I thank God for my family, friends and my colleague governors.”
He thanked Aminu Tambuwal, chairman of the PDP Governors Forum and other governors, “particularly Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State and others who encouraged me to move on”.
- Joe Biden picks former rival Kamala Harris as running mate
- Mahatma Gandhi’s glasses go on sale August 21 for over $19,000
- Lagos courts deliver judgments on 122 sexual offences in 2020 – DPP
- 500 pioneer amotekun officers completed training with colourful passing out parade
- Covid-19: United States donates over 200 modern ventilators to Nigerian government
- Labour unions threaten to disrupt MTN operations over alleged anti-labour practices
- Over 5 million people applied for N-Power Batch C – Sadiya Umar Farouq
- Not an all boys club anymore; meet Northern Nigeria’s only female Polo Player
- NECO has released 2020 examination timetable
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others